Thursday, June 11, 2009

La Bomba de Tiempo

The other night I attended a a drum percussion concert. Not expecting much I went in thinking that it would just be some low key group with a smallish crowd. I was completely wrong. After walking a fair amount to the venue, we were greeted by a line that wrapped around the block. After getting 15 peso tickets we waited in the long queue that wold eventually evaporate. The venue was kind of like a warehouse and had a very underground feeling to it. We some how managed to stand near the front and my awkward height had me sticking out like a sore thumb. The group La Bomba de Tiempo soon began to play, and they were awesome. There was around 14 of them all playing different percussion instruments, (drums, shakers, etc). They really got the crowd pumped and excited and would be perfect for football and basketball games. I think the coolest thing was that they had a composer who would signal what to do, so everything they played was on the fly. The crowd began moving and enjoying the music but there was more to come. A special guest and his band soon arrived on stage. At the time I had no clue who he was and I barely do now besides for his bands website. He played the keytar and played some groovy tunes while the drums improvised along. The crowd obviously knew who he was and people were pushing just to be up close. One guy actually gave his bracelet to him, but then again what kind of a man wears a bracelet. The crowd soon got pretty intense singing along and a solid mosh pit soon developed. It was crazy and I loved it. People were going wild just jumping around to the funk of Pablo's keytar and the rhythm of La Bombas drums. Altogether it was a great experience marking my discovery of a new music genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment